5 Travel Friendly Snacks
By: A Chevy Texan
August 1, 2012 1:33 pm CT
One of the best parts of a road trip is the food, but how do you keep everyone happy while keeping your car clean? We have a few suggestions for the next time you hit the open road.
1. Fruit and Cheese Kabob - Sweet fruit and blocks of cheese blend harmoniously and make for an easy and enjoyable snack to pack on the go. Creating fun patterns of favorite fruits and cheeses with your kids makes preparation a blast. Just add these ingredients to a wooden skewer:
- Your kids favorite fruit (strawberries, pineapple, red and green grapes)
- Cheese cubes (Colby, cheddar)
- Put finished product inside a large Ziploc bag, place in insulated cooler and you’re off!
2. Homemade Trail Mix - Not only is trail mix a delicious sweet and salty combo, but it is also a fun recipe to prepare with the kiddos. To make this nutritious snack throw together these ingredients:
- 2 cups of your kid’s favorite cereal
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 cup of dried fruit, like cranberries, apricots, apples, or banana
- 1 cup of nuts, like walnuts, almonds, or pistachios
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- After mixing together, separate into Ziploc bags and its road trip ready.
3. PB&J Sushi - A peanut butter and jelly sandwich has always been portable and kid approved, but by putting a creative spin and making “pb&j sushi,” road trips instantly become more enjoyable. Directions:
- Remove crusts from bread, then completely flatten bread with hands or rolling pin
- Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of jelly on each slice of bread.
- Roll each slice into a tight spiral. Cut each spiral into 4 pieces.
- Spread peanut butter into celery stick
- Decorate the top with “ants” (raisins or chocolate chips)
5. Mini Muffins - We all love mini muffins and the best part is they are simple to make! Just buy your favorite pre-packaged muffin ingredients, mix, bake, and enjoy! By keeping them fresh in a sealed container or Ziploc bag, this snack instantly becomes travel friendly.
What do you think of our list and what goodies did we forgot? We’re always looking to add to our menu.